Anthony G. (Tony) Mansell Attorney at Law

Estate Planning & Probate


Are You Responsible for Administering an Estate?

Lawyer and Legal Document

When a person leaves a will, the person named to handle the estate is called an executor (or executrix). If there is no will, someone must come forward to take on these responsibilities. That person is called an administrator (or administratrix). Often, however, we refer to such an individual as the personal representative for the estate, and Arkansas law uses this terminology. Either way, the legal requirements for estate administration are generally the same.

If you have found yourself appointed executor in a will, or if you are taking responsibility for the property of a friend or relative, you need as much information as possible. It would be a good idea to read a special publication by the Arkansas Bar Association regarding personal representatives.